Monthly Archives: November 2017
Timothy Walker – ‘From Diaz to Diamonds’
Timothy Walker was, until 2014, the Director of the University of Oxford Botanic Garden. He is a Fellow of the Linnaean Society of London and has been a research lecturer in the Department of Plant Sciences at Oxford since 1992. He has spoken to the Herts Group on several occasions and is always entertaining. This talk takes a route from the southernmost tip of Africa to the border with Namibia, looking at one of the most botanically diverse areas of the world: the Western Cape.
Our Christmas Party follows Timothy’s talk. Festive drinks will be provided by the Committee.
• Please bring a plate of nibbles to share, savoury or sweet, on a disposable paper plate to avoid washing up. (If you need to bring your food in a tin/plastic container, please unpack on arrival and return all containers to your car.)
• No cutlery is available so finger-food only that does not require heating.
• Please label any plates of gluten-free or dairy-free food.
• Floral table arrangements will be very welcome.
It may interest members to know that Anna Pavord who joined us and gave such an interesting talk at our October meeting will be on Desert Island Discs this week on Friday 17th November at 9.00am.
Below is a link to a shortened version from the BBC iPlayer.
Another snippet is that the HHPS has a mention in an article in this week’s Hertfordshire Life along with mentions of other gardening groups in Hertfordshire – it may recruit some members. This magazine can be received FOC online if you sign up.
Link to the article Hertfordshirelife
Many thanks to Adrian for his superb talk after last Saturday’s AGM.
If you are interested in seeing more gardens designed by Piet Oudolf, Adrian has kindly put these into a slideshow: Adrian de Baat slideshow
- Hummelo in Holland is Piet Oudolf’s own private garden
- Sussex Prairies is owned by Paul and Pauline McBride, who worked with Oudolf in a private garden in Luxembourg
- Scampston Hall and Trentham Gardens were both designed by Oudolf.